Do you want to rank your website by adding value to the user at the same time? Are you using the right keywords so that Google can index your website? Or just don’t know how to structure all the content on your website for SEO?
So today I’m going to help in creating the SILO structure that your website needs to get ranking on Google. Learn how to create a silo structure in WordPress step by step.
To begin with, what does the word “SILO” mean?
The word SILO refers to a structure designed to store a single item. In other words, in order not to mix different elements in the same place, we organize these elements in different silos.
In this way, finding a specific element will be much easier, since we know exactly where we have to look. If we call this “element” a “keyword”, are you starting to see the meaning?
Well, this is basically what happens when we use a SILO structure on a website:
- We organize our website in different keywords that will, therefore, deal with different topics.
- This will make the web more accessible to Google due to the URL logic.
- At the same time we are adding value to the user by delving into the topic they are looking for.
- We focus everything we can on each of these keywords.
This SILO structure is an SEO strategy in On-Page SEO used to optimize the structure of your website, either from scratch or to rebuild an existing one (although before rebuilding an existing one, you have to take into account how to do the 301 redirects so as not to lose the strength of the current URL).
Furthermore, this structure is based on vertical SEO, what does this mean? The content of our website will focus its focus on keywords that will be directly related to the main keyword of our website, dividing it into subcategories that, at no time, will be mixed between them.
Imagine you may be having doubts right now, but don’t worry! You will learn everything step by step that how to create a silo structure.
How to create a Silo structure?
To create this structure on your website, first, you have to be clear about the keywords you want to use, which you can do thorough keyword research.
The structure can start with the main keyword and, arising from it, other keywords that will become increasingly specific. Once you have decided your keywords, you have to divide the web into different levels. Now, what do I mean by level? Don’t worry just go ahead and read.
1. First Level of Silo Structure
With this level, you have referred the Home page, to which you will assign the main keyword. In the main menu, you will make it clear which will be the main topics that your website will deal with, which will be keywords related to the main keyword. So that you understand it better, I’m going to explain it to you with an example:
Imagine that you want to create a music website where you want to talk about rock, pop, classical, and electro music.
For example, your main keyword “music” and, derived from it, you would also have “rock”, “pop”, “classical” and “electro”. Knowing this, we then have the first level (Home) with the most important keywords within the main menu of the web.
2. Second Level of Silo Structure
The second level is the pages of each keyword that you have chosen for the menu and will of course be one page for each one. These are called ” pillar pages “, where you will develop everything about the keyword of that category.
With this you are saying that through the Silo Pages you can reach these four different pages that we could understand as:
3. Third Level of Silo Structure
In this third level, you have to display subcategories that will be within the main categories of the menu and that will have other more specific keywords by name, always in relation to their superior category. These subcategories could be articles that talk about each category.
In addition to this, I’m going to relate it even more by linking some pages to others and thus producing the well-known link juice. How can you do it? First, you need to know how the URL logic works. Let’s go to the next step!
As we now know what the SILO structure consists of, we can deduce that we are not going to talk about classical music within the electro category or the best rock groups, since, precisely, the main idea of this strategy is to separate the keywords in different silos. So:
- Do not link pages from one silo to another and, in case you want to do so, make sure that this link is to follow so that the Google spider ignores it.
- Within the same silo, you can link the pages you want, whether it is with the superior category or at the same level.
- The URL logic is fulfilled. Each page deals with a keyword that hangs from another page with which it is still related. In this way, all the content is coherent and the search engines will know that your website is delving into that keyword. This is why we cannot mix different silos.
How important is the SILO structure for SEO?
Throughout the post, we have been talking about some advantages that this structure gives us.
- Keywords in the main menu. The main menu of the web is the first thing the Google spider will see, so just by looking at the menu, it will know what our web is about. But we return to the same as before, it is not only for search engines, but the user can also get an idea at a single glance, without having to enter any section.
- The number of clicks. The user should be able to find what he wants in the fewest possible clicks. The best thing is that in 3 clicks or less, you have already found what you are looking for. With this structure, we managed to reduce this number. So: for home, it is 0 clicks, the second level is 1 click and the third is 2 clicks.
- Friendly URLs. When we optimize the URLs of our site, we will have all the keywords of the same silo in their corresponding URL. Thus, not only will search engines understand much better how the web is organized and will be able to know that you bring relevance to the matter, but also that the user will know where they are at all times.
- The structure. By organizing content in this way, search engines will know that all the levels within the same URL are related to each other in a coherent way, being more and more specific. This, for search engines, translates into value for the user, since there are more and more websites that talk about the same thing, the more you specify in a topic, the more relevant content you are going to provide and the more possibilities there are, therefore, to give you the answer to what you are looking for.
Imagine that the first time when Google Spider or Crawler comes to your website it should crawl your website completely. We know about the website that is this about but the bot could not know what this website is about, right? It could be about anything because it’s not really telling anything.
Silo structure is the only way to solve this issue and let Google Crawler know about our website. So I hope now you will understand how to create a silo structure in WordPress. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments and I will try my best to help you out.